Episode 67 features Absolut Vodka, the brand that clever print ads made, from the Swedish state-controlled liquor monopoly. Bottled in 750ml at 40% ABV, or 80 proof, it retails for $20.
Enjoy this episode with some Absolut however you like it.
Absolut's official website: https://www.absolut.com/us/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1879 -L.O. Smith begins selling Absolut Rent Bränvin
- 1917 - Swedish government entity, Vin & Sprit is formed
- 1979 - Absolut Vodka, the brand for export, is created
- 1979 - Absolut Vodka is first sold in the United States by Carillion Importers
- 1980 - The first ad, entitled "Absolut Perfection" runs
- 1984 - Sales surpass 440,000 cases
- 1985 - Artist Andy Warhol is commissioned to paint his rendition of the Absolut bottle, creating "Absolut Warhol"
- 1989 - Absolut becomes the largest imported spirit by volume in the USA
- 1994 - Vin & Sprit replaces Carillion Importers with Seagrams in the USA
- 2008 - French spirits conglomerate Pernod-Ricard buys V&S from the Swedish government for $8.3 Billion US Dollars
Absolut is unflavored vodka, it literally mixes with anything!
Book: Vodka - How a Colorless, Odorless, Flavorless Spirit Conquered America by Victorino Matus
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf