Episode 53 features Heering Cherry Liqueur, the original cherry liqueur. The bottle for the tasting is 750mL at 24% ABV, or 48 proof.
Enjoy this episode with a Singapore Sling cocktail!
Heering's official website: https://www.heering.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1818 - Peter F. Heering opens his grocer's store in Copenhagen, making and selling "Cherry Cordial"
- 1833 - Heering buys his first ship to control liqueur exports
- 1868 - Peter F. Heering is injured and his son Peter N. Heering takes over the business
- 1900 - Heering is trademarked in Japan, and leadership is handed over to brothers Harald & William Heering
- 1915 - The Singapore Sling is invented by Ngiam Tong Boon at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore
- 1950s - Heering is sold in over 140 markets, with sales of 350,000 cases a year
- 1970- Liqueur's name is changed to Peter Heering, to differentiate it from cherry flavored pickled herring (fish)
- 1990 - New owner rebrands, changes the name back to Heering Cherry Liqueur and develops the current bottle shape
- 2013 - The Sling Awards are created
- 2015 - 100 year anniversary of the Singapore Sling
- 2017 - De Kuyper acquires Heering
Heering is thought to be an original ingredient in the Singapore Sling, and the brand as embraced this with an annual competition, the Sling Awards.
- 3 cl Gin
- 1.5 cl Heering
- 0.75 cl Cointreau
- 0.75 cl DOM Bénédictine
- 1 cl Grenadine
- 12 cl pineapple juice
- 1.5 cl fresh lime juice
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a Hurricane or Collins glass. Garnish with pineapple and a cherry.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf