Episode 48: Malibu
Episode 48 features Malibu Rum based coconut flavored liqueur. The bottle is 750mL at 21% ABV, or 42 proof and presented in its trademark white color with pair of palm trees against a setting sun.
Enjoy this episode with some Malibu in your favorite tropical cocktail!
Malibu's official website: https://www.maliburumdrinks.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1978 - A Caribbean style rum based coconut flavored liqueur named Coco Rico is launched in South Africa by Gilbey's
- 1979 - Coco Rico is renamed Malibu, and it's promoted in the UK and beyond
- 2002 - Diageo, then owner of Malibu, sells it to Allied Domecq after acquiring Captian Morgan following the sell off of Seagrams
- 2005 - Pernod Ricard buys Allied Domecq, getting Malibu in the process
- 2019 - Malibu sells 3.8 million 9 liter equivalent cases worldwide
Malibu provides a great coconut flavor to many tropical cocktails, here's one it's heavily associated with:
Malibu Pina Colada:
- 1 part Malibu
- 1.5 parts Pineapple Juice
- 0.5 part Coconut Cream
Combine ingredients with ice in a shaker. Shake well, pour and enjoy!
Much of the content for this episode came from the interview given by James Espey, listed below.
James Espey Interview on Malibu's Origin
New York Times Obituary on Tom Jago
Scotchwhisky.com Article on Gilbey
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf