Episode 47 features Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. The bottle is 750mL at 32% ABV, or 64 proof and purportedly hand wrapped in synthetic straw with the label on the outside of this wrapping.
Enjoy this episode with some Luxardo in your favorite classic cocktail!
Luxardo's official website: https://www.luxardo.it/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1817 - Girolamo Luxardo moves to the city of Zara in modern day Croatia
- 1821 - Luxardo company is founded to commercialize Risolo Maraschino, or Maraschino liqueur
- 1839 - Advertisement exists offering Luxardo for sale in New Orleans
- 1944 - Zara is heavily bombed during WWII, destroying the distillery and displacing the Luxardo family
- 1947 - Giorgio Luxardo reforms the company in Torreglia, Italy with surviving family members
- Early 2000s - The return to craft cocktails drives demand for Luxardo, and the family plants additional cherry orchards
- 2021 - Bicentennial of the company with the 7th generation of the Luxardo family involved
Luxardo Maraschino is featured in many classic cocktails, but almost always used in a small amount in a supporting role. Here's one of the most iconic:
- 1.5 oz. Gin
- 0.5 oz. Lemon Juice
- 0.5 oz. Luxardo Maraschino
- 1 barspoon Crème de Violette
- Maraschino cherry garnish
Combine ingredients with ice in a shaker. Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an authentic Maraschino cherry.
Much of the content for this episode came from the Luxardo video listed below.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf