Episode 46 features Underberg herbal bitters, intended as an after dinner digestive aid. The bottle is 20mL at 44% ABV, or 88 proof and individually wrapped in paper with the label on the outside of this paper.
Enjoy this episode with an Underberg neat from a glass!
Underberg's official website: https://www.underberg.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1846 - Underberg founded by Hubert Underberg - on his wedding day!
- 1851 - Filed for legal protection of the bottle
- 1867 - The Underberg glass was designed and released
- 1939-49 - Production ceases for a decade due to lack of raw materials
- 1949 - Emil Underberg, grandson of the founder, relaunches Underberg in only the 20ml paper wrapped bottles
- 1970s - Underberg introduces their jingle, "Komm doch mit auf den Underberg" set to the tune of the Colonel Bogey March
- 2002 - The "Tops & More" loyalty program is launched
- 2011 - One cap is returned every three seconds as part of the "Tops & More" loyalty program
Underberg is meant to be consumed neat from a glass, all in one swallow. But, it can be used as a flavoring, so here's a cocktail:
- 1 oz. Tequila reposado
- 1 bottle of Underberg
- 1 oz. Orgeat Syrup
- 0.75 oz. Lemon Juice
Blend with ice until smooth, serve in a coupe glass and stick the Underberg bottle in as a garnish, the clean neck inserted into the drink.
Much of the content for this episode came from Underberg's website, more than usual.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf