Episode 41 features Margaritaville Gold Tequila, a big bottle I had in the liquor cabinet leftover from a Cinco de Mayo party. A full 1.75L that's 40% ABV, or 80 proof, it retails for about $30.
Enjoy this episode with some Margaritaville Gold Tequila mixed in a margarita of your choice!
Margaritaville's official website: https://www.margaritavillespirits.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1977 - Jimmy Buffett releases his breakthrough hit song "Margaritaville"
- 1980s - Jimmy Buffett fans are dubbed "Parrot Heads"
- 1987 - The first Margaritaville restaurant opens in Key West, Florida, USA
- 1993 - The second Margaritaville location opens in New Orleans
- 1996 - John Cohlan and Jimmy Buffett partner up to expand the Margaritaville brand
- 1998 - John Cohlan plays "hardball" with Arthur Shapiro, then Chief Marketing Officer for the Americas at Seagram, over the introduction of Parrot Bay Rum - this leads to the creation of Margaritaville tequila
- 2001 - Seagram is broken up and sold off
- 2016 - Sazerac ended up owning Margaritaville, and sells about 300,000 9-liter cases annually
The margarita featured at my Cinco de Mayo party, referenced on the Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker website, though apparently no longer listed.
The Best Margarita:
- 3 oz. Gold Tequila - Margaritaville of course!
- 5.25 oz. Margaritaville Margarita Mix
- 0.75 oz. Triple Sec
- 1.5 oz. Lime juice
- 1.5 oz. Orange juice
If making in the machine, you fill the top reservoir with ice, combine ingredients in the glass mixing jar, hit the "go baby go" button to concoct until smooth, pour into a glass and enjoy! If you don't have the machine, just blend with ice until smooth.
NY Times article on Margaritaville (may be behind a paywall)
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf