Episode 101 features Old Elk Distillery. Five different bottlings are noted, with a tasting from the Blended Straight Bourbon Whiskey that is bottled in 750ml at 44% ABV, or 88 proof and it retails for $45.
Enjoy this episode with a neat pour of any Old Elk product!
The official website for Old Elk: https://www.oldelk.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1880 - Brand is originally created
- 1888 - Old Elk Trademark is registered by Stoll, Vanatta & Co
- Prohibition Years - Old Elk is produced by Stitzel Distillery as a "medicinal spirit"
- Post Prohibition - Stitzel-Weller Distillery continues production of Old Elk, without the "medicinal" moniker
- 1972 - Brand is sold to Norton-Simon who abandons it
- 2013 - Entrepreneur Curt Richardson resurrects the Old Elk brand, acquiring the trademark
- 2013 - Greg Metze creates a custom mash bill for Old Elk's signature bourbon
- 2017 - Old Elk launches in Colorado and California
- 2021 - Annual sales of about $16 million
Old Elk is perfect neat, right out of the bottle. You can mix it or chill it if you like.
Most of the content for this episode came from an interview and tasting conducted with Greg Metze, Master Distiller for Old Elk.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf