Episode 89 features Mount Gay Barbados Rum, the XO expression. From the birthplace of rum, Barbados, this rum is aged between 5 and 17 years, and bottled in 750ml at 43% ABV, or 86 and it retails for $65.
Enjoy this episode with a pour of Mount Gay XO neat.
Mount Gay's official website: https://www.mountgayrum.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1637 - Sugar cane is introduced to the island of Barbados
- 1703 - A deed of title noting commercial rum distillation on the plantation that became Mount Gay is produced.
- 1747 - John Sober buys the plantation and hires Sir John Gay Alleyne to manage it.
- 1801 - Sir John Gay Alleyne dies, but impressed the Sober family so much, they rename the plantation in his honor (there was already a Mount Alleyne, so they used his middle name)
- 1897 - Mount Gay Rum is singled out as one of the best rums in Barbados
- 1900s - Aubrey Ward purchases Mount Gay and consolidates it with other sugar cane plantations
- 1920s - Blending and bottling come under the control of new company Mount Gay Distilleries Ltd.
- 1948 - Aubrey Ward dies, leaving the Mount Gay holdings to his children
- 1980 - 60% of Mount Gay Distilleries Ltd. is sold
- 1989 - Rémy Cointreau buys the 60% stake in Mount Gay Distilleries Ltd.
- 2014 - Rémy Cointreau buys controlling interest in Rum Refinery of Mount Gay and the Oxford plantation adjacent to the distillery
- 2015 - Rémy Cointreau buys the Mount Gay Plantation land for $4.9 million
- 2019 - Trudiann Branker becomes the first female Master Blender for Mount Gay
Just drink it neat, or with one large coconut water cube of ice.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf