Episode 97: Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
Episode 97 features Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum. Bottled in 750ml at 63% ABV, or 126 proof and it retails for $26.
Enjoy this episode with a "Wray & Ting".
The official website for the brand simply redirects to the corporate parent: http://www.jwrayandnephew.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1825 - John Wray founds The Shakespeare Tavern in Kingston, Jamaica
- 1860 - John. Wray brings his nephew, Charles James Ward into the business
- 1862 - J. Wray & Nephew Ltd. is formed
- 1862 - The brand wins gold medals for their aged rums in London
- 1901 - J. Wray & Nephew acquires the Monymusk Estate
- 1913 - Charles Ward dies, leaving the business to trustees
- 1916 - Lindo Brothers & Co. purchases the company from the trustees
- 1917 - Distillery operations move to the recently acquired Appleton Estate
- 1940s - This overproof bottling was likely introduced
- 1997 - Joy Spence is appointed Master Blender
- 2012 - Gruppo Campari buys J. Wray & Nephew Ltd.
This rum is great for mixing and stands up in a cocktail. A popular serve is the "Wray & Ting".
1 Part Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
2 Parts Ting or Smilar Grapefruit Soda
Serve over ice
Wikipedia Article on j. Wray & Nephew Ltd.
YouTube Video Discussing the Campari Acquisition Circa 2015
Steve The Barman on YouTube, Features Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
Long Presentation on Production at Appleton Estate, by J. Wray & Nephew
Good Tasting & Review on YouTube
Another Good Tasting & Review on YouTube
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf