Episode 86 features Pusser's Rum, the official British Navy rum. The Blue Label used in the tasting for this episode is bottled in 750ml at 42% ABV, or 84 proof for the US market, and it retails for $27.
Enjoy this episode with a Pusser's Painkiller®.
Pusser's Rum official website: https://pussersrum.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1655 - The British capture Jamaica from the Spanish
- 1731 - British Naval regulations define a sailor's ration of rum to be 1/2 pint, twice a day
- 1740 - Admiral Edward Vernon, "Old Grog", decrees that the ration should be diluted with water, becoming what's known as Grog
- 1756 - Grog becomes the official way to serve the sailor's rum ration, referred to as a tot
- 1824 - The tot is reduced to a quarter pint of rum
- 1850 - the tot is reduced to an eighth of a pint of rum
- 1970 - The British stop providing rum to sailors in what's known as Black Tot Day, July 31st
- 1976 - Charles Tobias has his first drink of original naval rum and is gifted a demijohn of it
- 1979 - Charles Tobias is gifted Pusser's Rum from the British Navy
- 1980 - Pusser's Rum becomes commercially available
- 1990 - Pusser's Rum is sold to Jim Beam
- 2002 - Charles Tobias and Jim Jackson purchase Pusser's Rum back from Jim Beam
- 2013 - Headquarters is moved to Charleston, South Carolina, USA
- 2021 - Record breaking sales year for the brand
Pusser's is one of a few brands with a trademark on their signature cocktail.
2 oz. (60 ml) Pusser’s Rum
4 oz. (120 ml) pineapple juice
1 oz. (30 ml) orange juice
1 oz. (30 ml) cream of coconut
Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish.
Shake all ingredients with ice, pour into a big glass filled with ice, garnish and enjoy!
Book: A Rum Tale by Joseph Piercy Page
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf