In this premier episode I've focused on Midori Melon Liqueur, a green spirit from Suntory in Japan that is 20% alcohol by volume, or 40 Proof. I also take some time to introduce myself and why I've started this podcast, plus what listeners can expect in future episodes.
This episode is best enjoyed with some Midori!
Midori's official website: www.midori-world.com
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1964 - First introduced as Hermes Melon Liqueur
- 1971 - Gained international acclaim at IBA Championships
- 1978 - Launched at Studio 54 in New York
- 1987 - Production begins in Mexico
- 2003 - Production also begins in France
- 2007 - Packaging updates and worldwide sales top 300,000 cases
- 2013 - New formulation and packaging update
The Universe - This exquisite cocktail took home the grand prize at the US Bartenders Guild Annual Competition in 1978.
- 1/2 oz. Midori
- 1/2 oz. Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Pistachio flavored liqueur
- 1 1/2oz. Pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz. Lime juice
Shake ingredients together with ice and pour into a whiskey sour glass. Enjoy!
Midori Sour - This is my go-to cocktail is I'm drinking Midori at a bar.
- 2 oz. Midori
- 2 oz. Sour mix
- Maraschino Cherry garnish
Served in a rocks or collins glass, ingredients are simply poured in one after the other. Variations on this simple recipe improve the drink by introducing vodka and using fresh lemon and lime juice in place of the sour mix.
Melon Ball - The recipe printed on the back of the bottles today.
- 1 oz. Midori
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 3 oz. Pistachio flavored liqueur
- Green melon garnish
Served over ice in a rocks glass.
Bar Magazine Article: Made in Japan: New Directions for Midori
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com